Data science roles
Several firms pioneering the use of alternative data in fundamental investing have engaged us to help build out their data science teams. At present these include:
- Technology focused fund with over $10bn in assets under management looking to expand its data science team.
- Multi-strategy fund with over $10bn in AUM looking to hire sector specialists with data science experience.
- Global fund focused on Asia, with over $5bn in AUM looking to establish a data science team.
- Stealth-mode data science firm with a long list of hedge fund clients.
Our partners' data science teams typically have two core work-streams:
- Engineering involves the build-out of ETL pipelines to Extract, Transform, and Load data from various sources. Such sources usually include public repositories, data vendors, as well as proprietary scrapers.
- Analysis involves the use of various statistical methods to identify noteworthy relationships. For example, you might find that a particular publicly accessible time series is highly correlated with a publicly traded company's revenues.
Whil there are opportunities for specialists in either area, the most sought-after candidates usually have some background in both engineering and analysis
- You would join a team tasked with sourcing and analysing data for use in fundamental equity research.
- You would be expected to help drive innovation by delivering original ideas.
- Familiarity with data mining and modeling techniques.
- Strong knowledge of Python.
- Knowledge of R a plus.
- Fundamental equity research experience a plus.
- Data visualisation (Tableau, D3.js) experience a plus.
Most of the firms we work with are based in New York. Compensation is above the industry standard.
How to apply
Please send your resume to email@example.com with the subject "Data science role".
If you have particularly relevant research or work experience, please make a note of it in the body of your email.